Saturday, May 17, 2008

Why a weblog?

Good question.

Why, thank you, self!

You're welcome, self.

1. Journaling, I have decided, is going to be an integral component of my homeschooling experience. "My" experience being that of parent/educator. Not only will this provide an outlet to review our activities, it's also a great opportunity to note what works, what doesn't work, what I like, what I hate, for reference when I tread the same path with subsequent children. Additionally, journaling our progress will be useful - and possibly (despite my fervent hopes otherwise), one day, necessary - for reporting purposes. My entries here will be printed and filed in a three-ring binder for computer-free reference. The online version offers a central, accessible-from-anywhere way to document... well, to document whatever I feel like documenting, really.

2. I have noticed that people - from family and friends to store cashiers and complete strangers - are interested in what we're doing. Very interested. Some, I blow off. Others - those whose curiosity is genuine, those who are seeking information and not ammunition - will more fully have their interest assuaged with this format, than whatever off-the-cuff, 30-second talking point I might try to provide. The truth is, what we do cannot be easily, simply or quickly described. It's not particularly advanced or complex, but is extensive and sufficiently outside the (traditional schooling) box to escape common definition.

That's it.

No comments: