Monday, February 23, 2009

Why I'm a hypocrite

I'm fickle and have arbitrary standards. Evidence:

Things you will not see in our house:

* Bratz dolls
* Play weapons
* Video games of any variety
* SpongeBob Squarepants anything
* Pants with writing on the butt, mini-skirts, anything with "bling"
* Childrens' programming on any channel other than PBS
* Movies that depict graphic violence, or anything more intense than a first kiss

Things you will see in our house:

* The Les Miserables sountrack, to which Isabel knows all the words (including "Master of the House")
* A recording of Pink's "Dear Mr. President," to which Isabel knows most of the words
* Soundtracks for Rent and Hedwig and the Angry Inch, both of which I try not to play around the kids but sometimes I can't help myself
* Several books of art, including full nudes
* Political propaganda on the bumper of the car, in the front yard, on the cork board
* A copy of The Princess Bride, which we watch in full - death, violence, kissing included
* Jonas Brothers CDs. They're so stinking cute and wholesome and what-not.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha! Your house sounds a lot like my house. Except we do have some somewhat graphic movies, though the girls aren't allowed to see them. Though they've seen The Princess Bride more times than I can count, lol.

At least you can pass off "Master of the House" as culture. More or less, lol. I have some weaknesses which my children are exposed to (and can sing in some cases) which I have no defense. And I probably shouldn't confess them! Yet you'll see no Nickelodeon (don't think I'm spelling that right) or Disney Channel in my house. :-P

Jaimie said...

Ha! We all have our weaknesses.